1 tbsp oil (rapeseed, olive or coconut oil are all good options)
1 medium onion
2 carrot diced
2 sticks of celery diced
1 red pepper chopped
1 courgette chopped
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 cup (approx. 200 grams) red lentils (rinsed)
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato pureé (optional)
250 mls vegetable stock
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to season
Fresh basil leaves to serve
- Prepare all of the vegetables and leave on a plate for easy access. I usually chop the onions last to save my eyes from streaming too much!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes, followed by the garlic.
- Now pop in the rinsed lentils and mix well with the vegetables.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, tomato pureé and oregano and stir well.
- Now add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for approx. 30 mins or until the lentils are soft. Stir occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the base of the pot.
- Season to taste and serve with brown pasta topped with a couple of basil leaves.